Pages

An End to the Beginning

Much to my shame I must admit that I do in fact watch Adam Sandler movies. I think the best of them all is Reign Over Me, but for sheer laughter I rather enjoy Happy Gilmore. In the movie Happy Gilmore, Adam Sandler’s character is having trouble putting because he is a former “hockey player” and can’t quite get used to the adjustments necessary for going from a slap-shot to a putt. One piece of advice given to Happy Gilmore is for him to enter a “happy place.”
We all have “Happy Places.” For some it’s a comfortable room; for others it’s a darkened movie theater. As for me, my “happy place” has always been a coffee shop. That is why I write this post. My happy place is no more. What do I mean?

Well, news came to me via the ever-reliable news feed known as Facebook that the Starbucks in my hometown was closing its doors. However, there is no need to panic because there is at least 5 others to sooth your desire and quench your appetite. But there will be no other Starbucks like that one.
That Starbucks meant more to me than I could possibly put into words, but I will try. That Starbucks was the place where the beginning of my journey of faith with Christ found its legs. It was in that Starbucks that I learned the importance of reading the Bible daily, the joy of living in community, and the excitement of giving a defense for the hope that is in me. It was a place where I could go if I didn’t want to be alone because I knew that if I were to go there I would surely meet another Christian and find the community I was looking for.
But Starbucks is closing now. I assume it’s because there is a Drive-thru just down the street and I believe a drive-thru is more lucrative than a store hidden away in an old shopping center. I guess it sort of resembles the move in our culture from the personal to the efficient. We’ve gone from “lets meet and chat” to “text me what’s up.”
Those beginning days are long gone but the nostalgia and memories of those days still remain. I remember specific days when I read 1 Samuel for the first time and was blown away by the loyalty of David. I remember leading a study on Philippians and being overwhelmed with Paul’s words that he considered everything a loss compared to knowing Christ – could I say that about myself? I remember playing Settlers of Catan for hours and laughing and rejoicing and being frustrated. I remember one rainy day how a couple of dear brothers prayed for me after I had fallen into sin and needed to experience the Grace that is found in Christ alone. I found that grace and it was through that prayer.
I don’t miss those days, but I do miss the people that made those days special. We have all drifted apart now. Some are living in other states and joyfully serving Christ in a myriad of ways. Others have started families and are living for the glory of God by being faithful husbands and wives and fathers and mothers and friends. Yet others have gone to other countries to preach Christ and hope and life. I too have moved to other adventures and have received other ministry opportunities.
I don’t know if I’m missed by any of those people. I realize that I’m not the kind of person to be remembered, but I do hope the memories from that Starbucks are never forgotten. I do hope when people cast their gaze upon the hope we have in Christ we remember those times spent in community, seeking God’s face and sharing life together and anticipate more of those moments to come in heaven. The difference between the “happy place” of Starbucks and the “happy place” of heaven is that there is no end and the memories will never fade.
So, goodbye Oliver Road Starbucks in Fairfield, California. You were my happy place. It is an end to the beginning, but what that happy place began, there is no end. Thank you to all of those people who made those memories possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment